Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blizzards, Lights, and Beef Stew

What a strange week it has been... Starting with the fact that Sara Rudner wasn't there all week because she had a show in the city.  I got A LOT of feedback about my dance and ended up changing and shifting the whole thing. Ross got his gift on wednesday and loved it (thank god!). His phone was being weird all week though and I never heard from him on monday or tuesday really until late that night. 

Tuesday night I also found out about a very close friend and mentor is not doing well physically and it's serious. That was a huge hit to my heart and all day wednesday I was filled with a sadness and heavy heart for her. But I danced in honor of her, she is a huge supporter in my life and encouraged me to follow my passion and apply for Sarah Lawrence. When I found out I had gotten in she was one of the first people I told when I kept it on the low down from most of even my closest friends. 

So to my favorite badass... I will dance in honor of you with my whole heart and spirit!



Friday I had tickets to Fall for Dance program 1 at City Center in NYC. I saw Mark Morris, Lil Buck, Trisha Brown, and The Joffrey Ballet for the first time ever. Let's just say I want to dance for Trisha Brown SOOOOO bad. Her piece was so beautiful and made me extremely sad to see it end. 

Saturday was really the most crazy day of all my days here so far...

At 11:30 I hopped on the train to the city with Bailey to go to the Performing arts library at lincoln center. As I started walking it began to snow... like REALLY SNOW. At noon we got to the city and began to trudge through a few inches of slush and snow. 

Lincoln center was awesome and I found the amazing book by a man in Boise all about Basque Dancing. After working at the library for 5 hours we headed to a pub on 46th and 11th to meet Dawn and Caroline for food and a drink before Sara's show. It was so nice to talk with Bailey, Dawn and Caroline outside of the SLC world. I was able to talk to them on a more personal level which I desperately needed. 

Next was the Show at the Baryshnikov Arts Center. It was AMAZING! An hour long work in complete silence (except a few soft chats and songs by the dancers) based entirely on the lighting. There were so many surprises and funny and thoughtful moments. I was so happy the entire time and at the end I was desperately wanting more. 

After the show I had 2 plans: 1)If the trains were running one of the undergrads was going to give me a ride home from the station. 2) if the trains weren't running or I couldn't get a ride I was going to go with Bailey to her friend's house in Brooklyn til sunday morning. 

luckily the trains were running and Patrick could fit me in his car. 

Sunday Morning I awoke to this:



 Read more for Spiced Pear Muffin and Beef Stew Recipes

------------------------------------------------




 I trudged through the snow to get groceries then went to school for rehearsal where we worked in a powerless cold studio.

When I got home I began this weeks baking project:


Spiced Pear Muffins
original recipe

Makes 12 muffins
1/2 cup (4 oz) packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (2oz) white sugar
1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (5 oz) all-purpose flour
1 cup (5 oz) whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger ( I didn't have any so I just left it out)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (4 oz) milk
2 to 2 1/2 cups pears, unpeeled and diced small (2 medium-sized pears, about 11 oz whole)
In a mixer on high speed, cream together the sugars and the softened butter until they resemble fluffy frosting, about 1 minute. Mix in the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated, about 1 minute each. Mix in the vanilla extract.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, spices, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, mix 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter-sugar mixture followed by 1/3 of the milk. Continue alternating between the flour and the milk, mixing just until the flour is incorporated. It's ok if there is still some flour on the sides of the bowl. Do not over-mix.
Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and stir gently to incorporate the last of the flour. Add the diced pears all at once and fold them into the batter.

Divide the batter between the muffin cups. The batter will fill the cups and mound slightly on top.

Place the muffin tin in the oven and immediately turn down the heat to 400°F. Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan once in the middle of baking. The muffins are done with the tops looked cracked and toasted, and when a toothpick inserted in the middle of one of the muffins comes out clean.




Beef Stew
no original recipe


2lbs stewing beef
3 carrots
2 potatos
1 large onion
3-5 cloves smashed garlic
1 cup wine
3 cups broth of choice
1 tablespoon tomato paste
salt and peper to taste
fresh rosemary (roughly 2 teaspoons - 1 tablespoon)
1 cup frozen peas (optional)



 Brown the meat on medium high with nothing in the pan



Add the onions and garlic and brown slightly


add wine and tomato paste



 Add broth, rosemary, salt and pepper



 Cover and simmer for 1.5-2 hours


I am currently waiting on the stewing process here with some of the wine, and a spiced pear muffin



When done add the carrots and potatoes cover another 30 mins until tender. At the last minute add the peas in, and salt and pepper and pinch of sugar to your taste (sugar to counteract wine)






mmmmm stew!!!!!! sooooo good


1 comment:

  1. Wow, wish you weren't so far away - we would be there for dinner! Catherine and Jim

    ReplyDelete