Sunday, October 9, 2011

Baking Project Part 5: Carrot Muffins

This weeks Baking project is savory because I realized I really don't want something sweet during my break. I want something hearty and substantial. So I saw a recipe for carrot muffins, a less sweet version of a carrot cake. I have adapted this recipe only a little, I used 100% whole wheat flour in stead of half wheat half white. I also switched vegetable oil out for olive oil. Next time I would like to add a little bit of nutmeg to the recipe as well

I also had an epiphany that is probably my most genius idea of the week by far... yesterday at the store there was a manager's special on a loaf of plain goat cheese (my favorite!). 

So I HIGHLY recommend putting plain goat cheese on the muffin instead of butter or cream cheese and let it melt a little and arm and I promise it will be the best breakfast of your life.



 continue reading for recipe and photos

---------------------------------------------------------


Carrot Muffins
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour

2/3 cup dark brown sugar

2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch fine salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups (ish) of grated carrots (2 large or 3 medium carrots)



Preheat your oven to 350F and assemble the necessary items...


Grate your carrots... I found the side grating method way easier than a straight on angle. More of the carrot is in contact with the grater this way. I also placed a piece of wax paper under the plate to collect flying carrot pieces.



Mix your dry ingredients in the large bowl


In a smaller bowl combine eggs, oil and vanilla, whisk vigorously and slowly add to the dry mixture.


When batter is fully mixed fold in the carrots 1/3 at a time. 


Place the batter into the cups with wrappers already in them roughly 1/2 full. (fills 12 cups)



Bake until golden brown... roughly 12-15 mins



let cool 5 mins and serve. 




 my soundtrack this weekend is music provided by DM Stith



No comments:

Post a Comment