Saturday, October 8, 2011

The hand that burns probably holds the knife

I've created this challenge to myself completely unconsciously for some reason that I want to cook something new and different every week. I guess it is a way to keep myself busy. Food is very comforting and challenging; it has played a large part of my life. I figure if I fail as a dancer or choreographer I'll open a bakery or cafe. Sometimes I wonder if food was my true calling, I watched Julia Child as a kid in stead of Barney. I used to pretend cook and I've always loved the feel of flour in my hands. who knows maybe I'll be so successful as an artist I'll have the income to open a cafe with out a problem. 

I think another part of this food obsession is  a need to fill in the place of my local cafes in SLO, I'm sort of making my home my own cafe (minus the fancy coffee). 

My parents said something that really resonated to me this morning, find something that makes you happy. I'm obviously not happy in my personal life (very happy in my school life). Coming home is hard and the weekends are especially hard and lonely. I have no one to talk to and tell my ideas for my dance. Or how I'm worried that my contemporary teacher doesn't really give me corrections or comments on my work. I want to be noticed and corrected so I can improve and I feel like sometimes I'm invisible. I'd like to tell someone I'm scared I'm screwing up Dawn's dance because I over think EVERYTHING and then panic. Maybe I need to make a calming soup next time instead of a hot and sour one...



CLICK READ MORE FOR THE RECIPE AND PHOTOS




1 tablespoon canola oil
3 jalapeno peppers, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 small lump ginger, grated or diced
1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 lime, zest and juice
8 cups broth — turkey, chicken, or vegetable
1/2 cup jasmine rice
Soy sauce
1/2 head green cabbage, cut in half and shaved thin

The flavorings for the soup

 First, de-seed and dice the jalapenos, garlic and ginger (your hands may burn from the jalapenos... it sucks so wear gloves or after touching immediately wash with milk or veggie oil)


Saute jalapenos, garlic and ginger in oil for 2-5 mins or until fragrant and tender on medium heat


Add mushrooms and cook another 10 mins until browned


while mushrooms are cooking grate the lime


Add 8cups of stock (I did 5 cups unsalted veggie stock and 3 cups of water) and lime zest


Bring to a simmer and add 1/2 cup of rice, cover and simmer on med-low for 20 mins or until rice is tender


Shred the cabbage while you wait


Add the cabbage, soy sauce and lime juice to the soup


Simmer another 5-10 mins until cabbage is tender 


 Serve and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment