Sunday, October 9, 2011

Tis the season... for apples and cinnamon



Weekend Meditations




I love this tea pot and it's brightness. Teapots have slowly become my beacon of homeliness. I find that it means "there will always be tea or coffee at hand and the whistle will make sure to break through any fog." Teapots make me happy (I may start keeping a list).

Secondly I realized yesterday that this dance blog has slowly become a food blog so my question is... Should I simply start a food blog? Or continue on with the confusion of food and dance together? Comments and opinions are very welcome...

and now time for the french apple cake, that I changed a lot so really it's a Cinnamon apple cake


click read more for recipe and photos....

--------------------------------------------------------------------


French Apple Cake a la Lauren (Cinnamon Apple cake)
original

3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
generous pinch of salt
4 large apples ( peeled, cored, and cut into 1-2in chunks)
2 eggs
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 to 1.5 tsp cinnamon
8 tbsp butter (melted then left to cool)


preheat the oven to 350F, then put the butter in a bowl or mug and microwave for 30 sec and set aside to cool. Grease an 8in round pan or 8x8 square pan (if you have an 8" springform pan that works best... I do not)

In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. set aside

In a medium-large bowl whisk the 2 eggs until frothy, then slowly add the sugar 1/4 cup at a time until completely incorporated and smooth. Then add the vanilla and cinnamon.

Next whisk in 1/3 of the flour and mix thoroughly, then 1/3 of the butter. Keep trading off until each is fully incorporated in the batter.

Gently fold in the apples slowly to the batter and spread the mixture into the pan


I however wanted to experiment and made a 2-1 mixture of sugar to cinnamon and sprinkled it on to to make a crust (similar to a crumble or strudel but without the butter)


Bake the cake for 50-60 mins until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean (I took mine out at 50 mins... WAY too early and the middle was a little eggy/spongy still but the flavor is heavenly!).

 Let the cake cool 10 mins then serve

Crispy on the top spongy in the middle... 

Under baked... but delicious. 

I might need some help finishing this one off...



What makes me happy?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment