Sunday, November 6, 2011

Another day, another injury...

It amazes me how quickly the weeks pass here... I feel like I just moved and getting through orientation. In reality I am in the thick of final papers and projects, with my final showing for my dance tuesday. AHHHHHHHHH how did that happen?

This week I was nursing a strained left hamstring which was an interesting challenge for me. I learned how to modify and take care of my body while still completing everything and never stopping. I also had a really good day friday (to a certain extent). 

Friday I woke up to Ross still being awake. He had just gotten home from work and was getting ready for bed. For some reason being able to talk to him before I started my day made me so happy. I smiled like a school girl throughout my day. I had Contemporary 3 with Gwen and my hamstring was almost back to normal so I was feeling pretty good (plus that boost of love still radiating). During the combination she approached me and said that I'm doing a great job of blending all my training in class and exploring and experimenting really well. Then she said she realized she never really gives me much feedback and that I was doing a good job and she is happy with my work (that made me feel better, even though I still greatly desire feedback). 

In grad sem later that day I was working through the problem of the ending of my dance (still has problems). Sara could tell I was more than the normal flustered, luckily we stopped working and she just talked to me and had me explain what I wanted to accomplish and the obstacles in the way. To be honest - right now I'm not sure if I hate my dance or if its acceptable. Unfortunately, if I do hate it, it's too late to really change it now...

oh well

So this weekend I wanted to make myself feel good... so I made pumpkin bread! Then I made rosemary muffins and turkey, bean, leek, and butternut squash soup (and I bought popcorn and a pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream).

Pumpkin Bread



For the muffin and soup recipes read on...






----------------------------------------------------------------
This week's baking project is

Rosemary - Olive Oil Muffins


4 large eggs
¾ cup sugar
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 TBL fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 ½ cup flour (I used Whole Wheat) 
1 TBL baking powder
½ TSP Kosher salt
Preheat oven to 325⁰F. Spray a 10-inch loaf pan (or an 8-inch round cake pan) with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. (I made these into muffins, so I placed cups in a muffin pan)
In a bowl of an electric mixer, use the paddle attachment to beat the eggs for 30 seconds. Add sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is very foamy and pale in color. With the mixer running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Using a spatula, gently stir the rosemary into the batter.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan (or muffin tins).
Bake for  45-50 minutes (15-20 for muffins!!!!), rotating the pan halfway through for even color. The cake (muffins) is (are) done when golden brown, springs back when touched, and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean



White Bean and Roast Squash Soup (with leeks and ground turkey)
original recipe


1 package of ground turkey

1 butternut squash, about 2-1/2 pounds

4 large cloves garlic, unpeeled

grapeseed oil (or other neutral oil)

1 large leek (about 2-1/2 cups chopped)

6 cups flavorful chicken or vegetable broth

4 cups of cooked white beans

salt and freshly ground pepper

For the pistou:
1/2 (heaping) cup of chopped parsley
1 (scant) cup of chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary

1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 smallish garlic clove, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
salt

 (I used bought pesto instead)




Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Halve, peel, seed and chop the squash into 1/2-inch cubes. Place on a baking sheet along with the unpeeled garlic cloves, drizzle with grapeseed oil and roast in oven until squash is just tender and starting to color, about 30-45 minutes.
Meanwhile, trim off and discard the tough dark green leaves of the leek. Cut the leek in half lengthwise and rinse off under running water to remove any grit. Slice the leeks into 1/4-inch half moons. You should have about 2-1/2 cups.
Cook turkey in pot, cook completely then push to the side. Add the leeks with a pinch of salt and sauté gently over medium heat until wilted.

 Add broth and bring to a gentle simmer. When squash is done, remove from oven and set the garlic aside. Using a slotted spoon (to drain off any excess oil) transfer squash to the soup pot and add the beans. Squeeze the garlic from its skin and add to the pot. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Bring to a gentle simmer to heat through but do not boil or cook for a long time as the beans and squash should remain whole.

To make the pistou: Or simply use store bought pesto
Combine herbs, garlic and olive oil with a pinch of salt in a food processor and pulse until blended. The texture should remain fairly rough, so don't make a smooth paste. Alternatively, chop the herbs, garlic and a pinch of salt together on a chopping board until well-combined. Put into a bowl and stir in the olive oil.
To serve: Ladle the hot soup into bowls and dollop a little pistou on top (it goes a long way!)






 While my left hamstring feels totally better... my right hamstring got jealous and started hurting friday night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment