Sunday, October 3, 2010

Surrealism in real life

last night I was in the pit at Berkeley's Greek Theater for the Arcade Fire Concert. I don't have words to explain how amazing the concert was; mind blowing, life changing, surreal are as close as I can get however even they don't suffice for the feelings I had for that short time.

How I've been trying to explain it is: Nothing in the world has EVER matched how I feel when I dance. Nothing has even come close... until last night. Seeing Arcade Fire from the pit in person was the only thing to ever make me feel that much, and make me that in the moment and true.

this is a terrible description but that's the closest I can get

here is video from this tour at Madison Square Gardens of the final song of the encore... nothing can top standing and singing with thousands of people to this song

3 comments:

  1. A Neon Bible Study
    http://www.assistnews.net/Stories/2007/s07030103.htm

    Arcade Fire:
    Sermon by John Van Sloten (New Hope Church, Calgary, Alberta)

    http://www.newhopechurch.ca/page.php?pgid=search&id=searchbrowse&movieid=696

    Jesus at The Arcade Fire concert
    by JVS on Sep.27, 2010
    http://www.newhopechurch.ca/jvsblog/2010/09/27/jesus-at-the-arcade-fire-concert/

    "Wake Up" includes the lyric:

    Children, wake up
    Hold your mistake up
    Before they turn the summer into dust

    "Rebellion (Lies)" includes the lyric:

    Sleeping is giving in
    No matter what the time is
    Sleeping is giving in
    So lift those heavy eyelids

    "My son, obey your father's commands, and don't neglect your mother's teaching. Keep their words always in your heart. Tie them around your neck. Wherever you walk, their counsel can lead you. When you sleep, they
    will protect you. When you wake up in the morning, they will advise you."
    (Proverbs 6: 20-22)

    "The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed." (Romans 13:11)

    *

    Eccelesiates 3:4
    "...and a time to dance"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very interesting stuff! I personally am not religious and I wouldn't consider Arcade Fire a christian band by any means but I do think they talk a lot about subjects like hope, faith, death, etc. I feel like these topics transcend religion and go to basic human emotions and needs.

    I also am a HUGE fan of Sufjan Stevens and he flat out retells stories from the bible which I find very interesting. For me again it is more about basic human emotion and life than anything religious.

    When I choreograph I focus on the raw power of what's deep inside you, whatever that may be. That is what drives me and I am very curious to the motives and inspirations of people all over the world because some things are universal (hope, desperation, sorrow...) and some things are unique (god, nature, sports, dance...).

    that's why I LOVE people and I also love that you quoted my favorite song Rebellion

    Thanks David I have a lot to read and think about which always makes me excited!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome.

    Are you familiar with such dance groups such as:

    http://www.danceaddeum.com/

    ReplyDelete