Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Shift of Energy

Week 3 baby!

Ok so this tuesday (yesterday July 27) I taught the Variable Velocity beginning modern dance class. There were only 3 students this week and 2 are Variable dancers so I decided for the warm up I would un-structure it and go for more of a one on one detailed warm up. Since it is so rare to get really specific instruction on things like different types of roll downs.

I also wanted to teach the same combo to the students however I wanted to change it up a bit. So I changed the music and overall tone of the piece.

here is me doing the original version to the Chase McBride music




July dance combo from Lauren Chertudi on Vimeo.


I changed the music to a song I have been unhealthily obsessed with

Crystal Castles "Empathy"

here is 2 runs in a row of the combo with me in it (it was really fast and tough)



Beginning Modern Combo week 3 (7-27-10) from Lauren Chertudi on Vimeo.


Then I had the dancers take the movement and not think about timing or the order and just go, here's what happened



Beginning Modern Dance *Dancers only week 3 from Lauren Chertudi on Vimeo.


I love seeing the differences between the the two versions. The movement is exactly the same, the only difference is the timing and dynamics. Gah! fascinating, this is the core of my work (at this stage in my life) and I love seeing how movement can change so much with little differences.

compare this week to

Week 1

Week 2


tonight Mee Heng Low Noodle House with Tanya, it's Jazz night which is my favorite


No comments:

Post a Comment