Thursday, December 30, 2010

Why I want to attend Sarah Lawrence

I don’t want to be like anyone else, I want to explore dance and expand my identity as a dancer and choreographer in order to better share my thoughts. I have always worked to create my own thoughts and never rely on what I’m told or the world’s standards.

I want to study not only the human body, but also the mind and spirit that drive it. The body is a reaction to psychological and exterior factors. There are forces inside and out that affect every aspect of our lives. It is the forces and effects that fascinate me as a dancer and choreographer.

Sarah Lawrence is not a place to perfect technique in order to create carbon copy students. It offers a place to explore, discover, and grow; not just as a dancer and choreographer but also as a human. Sarah Lawrence also provides a cerebral study of dance. I attended California Polytechnic University as an out of state student (6.8% of students) in one of the most rigorous business programs in the country. I want to continue to use every bit of my brain, a marriage between right and left halves. Pure physicality cannot exist alone; it requires impetus from the psyche and/or spirit. All elements need to be engaged to create a true piece of art.

I see Sarah Lawrence as a chance to live in a new environment and experience a much different community from those in Idaho and California. While I have lived in France I have never been east of Salt Lake City in the United States. I am excited about Sarah Lawrence’s proximity to New York to see shows on and off Broadway, visit MoMA, and experience a diverse area, something I have dreamed of since I was young. I also want to experience the natural beauty of the northeast. I draw a lot of inspiration from my surroundings and Sarah Lawrence provides a new and unique setting for me to learn and explore.

I was fully convinced Sarah Lawrence was for me upon receiving emails and phone calls from the school, simply asking if I had any questions or needed anything. From the second I ordered the information packet from SLC Dance I felt supported and welcomed. No one has ever done that before; schools, jobs, or activities. Recently when I landed in Phoenix halfway through my journey to Idaho for Christmas I turned on my phone and seconds later received a phone call from Sarah Lawrence about this application. I felt that I mattered and I was important. Dedication to a student means everything to me and shows me that Sarah Lawrence will be a place where I can grow as a dancer, choreographer, and as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment