Sunday, August 29, 2010

Observe and Report

Wednesday August 25th I went to Nipomo High School and observed Chrissy's dance classes for the day (well from 10am on it is summer!)

Out of the blue I had the idea that it would be really cool if I could observe Chrissy's classes and look at her dancers and really see them in an environment other than the audition back in May.

I wanted to observe the company class for the purpose of, almost a pre audition, viewing. I care more about my dancers' attitudes than ability. They made it to the company because they can dance, but I am a tough choreographer and I want to push the dancers to their limits. I'm not going to give them elementary material like I did in the audition. So I need dancers willing to risk a little more in performance and really commit to the work.

I also REALLY hate a bad attitude and lazy behavior. I don't appreciate it. In the past I have stopped rehearsals and sent dancers home because they were physically present but mentally absent.

The actual day of observing was interesting, the first class was the company.

of course all the girls and a couple of the guys recognized me and I watched them rehearse a piece they are performing at the football game in a couple weeks. It seemed like at least half the dancers weren't feeling well (I guess a flu outbreak or something) so many were marking it. You can tell a lot about a dancer by the way they mark a piece.

I simply observed and in general kept my mouth shut, which is hard sometimes.

Next was Dance 2 with a ballet routine... most of the dancers were far from dance 2 level but according to Chrissy she can't do much about it.

The final 2 classes I observed was Dance 1 in hip hop. This was a lot of fun to watch... let me just say Chrissy's got swagger!

After observing I chatted a bit with Chrissy about random dance chit chat and headed on my way.

The next 3 weeks I'm teaching beginning modern for Variable and I think I'm going to work on material for Nipomo and teach an audition class in a couple of weeks.

More to come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment