Thursday, August 5, 2010

It's like Red Wine and Coke!


Trey McIntyre Project which is based out of Boise created a piece for the HUGE Basque festival in Boise called Jaialdi. Jaialdi only happens every 5 years and this was the 50th anniversary of the festival. They estimated that 30,000-50,000 people from all over the world travelled to Boise for Jaialdi.

As a Basque and Basque dancer this is a big deal to say the least. Unfortunately I was not able to go (insert much sadness) so I had to live through my friends and family calling me to tell me stories and photos posted on facebook. Its just not the same damn it!

Anyways back to the point, Trey McIntyre created an AMAZING piece inspired by Basque dance which premiered at the Festara during Jaialdi. Basically Trey took my two worlds and melded them together in a way I could only dream of. (read a review of the piece Boise Weekly and New York Times)

In a way I'm jealous because I have always wanted to create a modern dance piece based on traditional Basque dance. In every piece I have ever made there are hints to my Basque dancing past. I have a strong tie to my Basque roots and in San Luis Obispo I feel like one of three Basques in a 500 mile radius. This is really hard sometimes since I come from a strong community of Basques. I miss going down to the block and hearing Basque music, eating Basque food, dancing on Sundays with the Oinkaris, and just being with my HUGE extended family, because lets face it, if you're Basque then you're probably related.


I miss my Basque life, but I'm learning to embrace it and allow it to help me remember where I come from. All I need in life is a kalimotxo, lamb stew, and a jota... then it feels like my family is with me, even if for a moment.


Here is a clip of the making of Arrantza (courtesy Trey McIntyre Project's blog *who as I went to get this link, posted a blog about Jaialdi!*):



No comments:

Post a Comment